The best way to map and improve the organization’s procedures is to take a top down approach, and not undertake a project in isolation. That means:
- Starting with mission statements that define the purpose of the organization and describe what sets it apart from others in its sector or industry.
- Producing vision statements which define where the organization is going, to provide a clear picture of the desired future position.
- Build these into a clear business strategy thereby deriving the project objectives.
- Defining behaviours that will enable the organization to achieve its’ aims.
- Producing key performance measures to track progress.
- Relating efficiency improvements to the culture of the organization
- Identifying initiatives that will improve performance.
Once these building blocks are in place, the BPR exercise can begin.